Healthy and Fun Picnic Recipes
We are soon to be entering SUMMER, where we may often find the perfect times and chances to picnic! Whether heading to the local park with a significant other, family, or a few friends, or attending/hosting a large summer cookout picnic, you’re not going to want to pass up these delicious summer food ideas that are sure to be the perfect additions to any picnic experience!
- Strawberry Balsamic Pasta Salad
Strawberries are perfectly in season for summer, and they make a tasty addition to a more savory salad!
- 1 lb penne
- 3 c baby spinach
- 2 c sliced strawberries
- 1 c crumbled feta
- ¼ c sliced almonds, toasted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Balsamic glaze
- Cook penne in a large pot of salted boiling water according to packaging directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add spinach, strawberries, feta, and almonds, and toss until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Chicken Avocado Pinwheels
These savory, healthy snacks are not only simple to make, but simple to pack and transport, so perfect for those beautiful hiking picnics!
- 2 avocados, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 c shredded chicken
- 1 bell pepper, seeds and core removed, chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ½ c shredded Monterey Jack
- ½ c shredded cheddar
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Combine avocado and lime juice in a bowl and mash until only small avocado chunks remain. Add chicken, bell pepper, red onion, Monterey jack, cheddar, sour cream, and chives, and stir until combined evenly.
- Spread a thin layer of this mixture onto a large tortilla, leaving a small border around the edges. Roll it up tightly, then cut off the edges and slice in 1” rolls. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature!
- Mason Jar Taco Salad
Pretty much everyone can appreciate some yummy taco salad. You can make your own and even have it in an aesthetically pleasing, easily portable mason jar!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (or tofu/healthy meat crumble substitute!)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 15-oz. Can black beans, rinsed and warmed
- 2 c frozen corn, thawed and warmed
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 1 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 c diced tomatoes
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and season with salt and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking up with bac of spoon or spatula until golden and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool 5 minutes.
- Among six mason jars, layer ground turkey or meat substitute, black beans, corn, romaine, cheese, and tomatoes.
- Pack in a cooler and enjoy!
We hope these healthy picnic foods inspire you to get creative in healthy ways when taking part in some incredible picnic memories this summer!
MAC’s Lash and Skin Studio
Healthy and Fun Picnic Recipes was last modified: June 4th, 2019 by Abby