Chocolate Zucchini Cake
yield: SERVES 10-12 prep time: 15 MINUTES cook time: 30 MINUTES total time: 3 HOURS, 30 MINUTES (INCLUDES COOLING)
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3/4 cup (63g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream or plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)*
- 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- chocolate fudge frosting or vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9×2 inch cake pans. (Make sure they’re at least 2 inches high, deep dish style.) Set aside.
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder (if using), and salt together in a large bowl. In another large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and zucchini together until combined. Pour into dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until completely combined. Beat in the chocolate chips. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans. Bake for around 25-32 minutes or until the cakes are baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
- Assemble and frost: First, using a large serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Discard (or crumble over ice cream!). Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd layer and spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides. Pipe any leftover frosting on top. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips if desired. Slice and serve.
- Cover any leftover cake and store at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Make ahead tip: Prepare cakes and frosting 1 day in advance. Keep cakes at room temperature, covered tightly. Refrigerate prepared frosting in an airtight container, then bring to room temperature when ready to use. Frosted or unfrosted cakes may be frozen up to 2 months, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature, if desired, before serving.
Source: Sally’s Baking Addiction